Do not withhold good from those who deserve it when it is in your power to act.
Networking and resourcing grass roots initiatives in developing countries
In June of 1999, Katja (then Seigel) began traveling abroad doing relief work after 5 years of teaching sixth grade in the inner city. She went to 12 countries in 12 months, serving in natural disasters, places of oppression and war zones. The next three years, she traveled part-time and substitute taught when home. In four years, she went to 38 countries. Returning to the classroom, she could not forget the people she had met and the enormous needs they faced. She founded Touch the Nations in order to connect the world at home and the world abroad, sharing awareness, resources and hope.
Board of Directors:
Founder/Director: Katja Starkey
- Director of Touch the Nations since 2004
- Professional Experience: 17 years teaching middle school
- International Experience: 4 years doing relief work: war zones, earthquakes, tsunami
- Education: Bachelor of Education at the University of Nebraska at Omaha
- Family Life: Katja and her husband Jonathan Starkey reside in Omaha with their children, Gadisa, Kiya, and Kaleb.